Thursday, March 18, 2010

Unaffiliated Voters; You have a chance for the Governor’s seat - and the support of Thomas Jefferson...

I have a website with information regarding my positions, published 3 books, over 400 Blog posts, video and podcasts explaining my principles and thought process. I try to write every day on issues that impact the state and country at this Blog. I do not rely on slogans and sound bites because I am a thinker, and believe each issue and topic needs thoughtful analysis. I answer e-mail requests for clarification on positions and I do not pander. If you don’t like my positions there are other choices in the race. I will only serve for four years. At the end of four years I hope to endorse another candidate like myself who is unaffiliated and holds similar values.

Don’t fall for the fear argument from Republicans: Don’t fear that voting for someone besides a Democrat or Republican is a wasted vote. The state registered voters are divided in this way:

• Democrats: 800,648
• Republicans: 832,170
• Unaffiliated: 716,801
• Other: 13,159

The unaffiliated voter, who has no interest in party politics, is a significant number. That is who I represent. The Republicans argue that my candidacy could divide the vote and cause a democrat to win. I believe when you look at the numbers that argument falls flat. I believe voters that are unaffiliated have spoken with their feet and have left both parties because they are not happy with having two choices for any elected position. I start with a base of 716,801 that I need to win over. They don’t need to be convinced to vote against their party, they don’t have one. I only need to convince a small number of Republicans and Democrats to vote for me and I have a chance. That is the battle ground. Why should an unaffiliated candidate defer to the Republican Party, and not fight for the 716, 801 unaffiliated voters in this election? The Republicans have not maintained the trust of the voters and they need a choice.

The tactic is to convince you that if you don’t vote for a republican you will be electing a democrat. That does not hold water. You only have to understand the numbers to realize that the unaffiliated voter is the fastest growing voting block and it is time they start voting to support their own commitment to breaking party control. My candidacy has a great chance if unaffiliated voters pay attention.

I urge you to spread the word to get people engaged in the fight. It is time to send an unaffiliated candidate to the state house to represent a significant number of Colorado citizens.

My favorite founder and greatest political thinker, Thomas Jefferson wrote much about about political parties and here are two quotes:

"I can scarcely contemplate a more incalculable evil than the breaking of the Union into two or more parts." Thomas Jefferson to George Washington 1792

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else, where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all." Thomas Jefferson to Francis Hopkinson, 1789

No comments: